Rainforest Boat Tour + Jungle Nature Walk
The Rainforest boat tour will start in the famous Chagres River, just 45 minutes from Panama City. On this tour a certificated nature tour guide will help you to spot wildlife, and provide you with information about the animals that you will see, the area, and its history. On the boat ride you will enjoy panoramic views of the rainforest, mountains, and the tranquil beauty of Gatun lake. You will also, of course, have the opportunity to see the giant ships crossing the Panama Canal next to you. At the same time your tour guide and boat captain will be looking for wildlife to point out to you. At the Gatun Lake area, it is very common to see different species of monkeys in their natural habitat, as well as birds like herons, raptors, rails, and toucans. You may also spot a sloth!
To complement this great jungle experience, after the boat tour (2 hours), your guide will take you for a walk in the rainforest (2.5 hour walk). This is another chance to observe different wildlife on the ground and stretch your legs. The walk takes place on one of the most famous places to see wildlife in Central Panama, Pipeline Road. This magic and tranquil destination is home to 50% of all the bird and mammal species found in Panama. During the walk, your tour guide will provide you with an explanation about the different interactions that take place in the rainforest ecosystem.
In order to increase the possibilities to see as much wildlife as possible, your guide will pick you up early. This is because early morning is the best time of the day to see wildlife, and the temperature is still cool and comfortable for walking.
Details about this tour:
- Location: Gatun Lake & Soberania N.P.
- Departure time: 6:15 a.m. (Approx.)
- Duration: 6 hours (Approx.)
- Start/Finalize: Your hotel in Panama City center
- Boat Tour Duration: 2 hours approx.
- Hike Duration: 2.5 hours approx.
- Level of difficulty: Easy
- Group size: Small (Min. 2, Max. 6)
- Staff: Certificated Nature Guide
- Tour category: Outdoor & Wildlife observation
- Type of trail: Mostly flat dirt trail
What is included?
- Comfortable transportation
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Entrance fees to Soberania N.P.
- Boat ride and wildlife observation on Gatun Lake (2 hours)
- Rainforest interpretative nature walk (2.5 hours)
- Refreshments (Tropical fruits)
- Spanish & English speaking tour leader
- 7% ITBMS
What to bring?
- Long pants and comfortable shoes for the hike
- Insect repellent, hat and sunscreen
- Snacks & water
- Binoculars (Recommended)
- Rain gear (Rainy season: May to Dec.)
- Prices shown are in USD, per person, and based on a minimum of 2 people.
- Tour details may change due to severe rain, river conditions, or unforseen events.
- Prices shown apply for participants 12 and up. Children from 7-11 receive a 50% discount. Children 6 and under are free.
- Please note that on this tour we are not going to feed monkeys or any other animal, but rather observe and learn about them in their natural habitat. As a responsible tour operator, we honor our commitment to conserving Panama’s wildlife and the natural ecosystems. Your guide will further explain our commitment to responsible tourism and our policy on feeding the monkeys on your tour. option is available
Is this experience for me?
This tour is for those that want to explore and learn about the rainforest and different habitats, both from the unique vantage point of a boat within the waters of the Panama Canal and forest edge, and hiking along a jungle-lined trail within the rainforest.
A certified nature guide will provide you with interpretative information of the forest and wildlife of the park. The walk along the trails is relatively flat with easy terrain. Participants will be walking in tropical weather, which is usually humid and warm. Because of this we recommend staying hydrated.
If your plan is to keep exploring Panama City after the tour, your tour guide can drop you off in at the following places without any additional cost: Miraflores Locks Visitor Center, Casco Viejo (old town), Biomuseo, Ancon Hill, Amador Causeway, Cinta Costera, and Albrook Mall. Or just back at your Hotel.
Reserve this tour
Please fill out the form below with your booking request. Payment is not requested until we verify availability for the dates that you are requesting, and also review any special request that you might have. By booking with us you are accepting our Terms & Conditions. If you have any question of how booking works, please see our Frequently Asked Questions for booking, and our 3 easy steps to book with us.