Panama Canal & Monkey Island visit
Explore the enchanting jungle landscapes, wild side and ecosystems of the Panama Canal as you make your way to the Monkey Islands.
After departing from your hotel, our guide will bring you to Gamboa, where your boat will be waiting. The ride will take you underneath the bridge still used today by the historic Panama Canal Railway and through the last part of the Culebra Cut of the Panama Canal, where you can learn about the history of this section of the canal and the modern-day expansion. Also, get the unique chance to observe ships alongside our boat, passing as they transit from ocean to ocean.
Arriving at the islands, you will get the chance to spot some of the wildlife that inhabits the area. This region is home to howler monkeys, white-faced capuchin monkeys, Tamarin monkeys as well as a variety of birds, crocodiles, iguanas, and other fauna. It is one of the most biodiverse areas of the Panama Canal watershed.
Details about this tour:
- Location: Gatun Lake (Panama Canal)
- Departure: Customized
- Duration: 4.5 hours (Approx.)
- Start/Finalize: Your hotel in Panama City center
- Level of difficulty: Easy
- Group size: Small (Min. 2, Max. 6)
- Staff: Certificated Nature Guide
- Tour category: Outdoor & Wildlife observation
What is included?
- Private transportation
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Boat ride and wildlife observation through Gatun lake & monkey Islands
- Spanish & English-speaking tour leader
- 7% ITBMS
What to bring?
- Sunscreen and hat
- Binoculars (Optional)
- Rain gear (Rainy season: May to Dec.)
- Prices shown are in USD, per person, and based on a minimum of 2 people. For solo travelers the tour can also be arranged.
- Please note that this tour is not physically demanding, however participants should feel comfortable entering and exiting a motorboat.
- Tour details may change due to severe rain, river conditions, or unforseen events.
- Please note that on this tour we are not going to the islands to feed monkeys, but rather observe and learn about them in their natural habitat. As a responsible tour operator, we honor our commitment to conserving Panama’s wildlife and the natural ecosystems. Your guide will further explain our commitment to responsible tourism and our policy on feeding the monkeys on your tour.
Is this experience for me?
This is for those looking to witness spectacular scenery of the tropical jungles in the Panama Canal watershed. Just a short trip outside the city, Gatun Lake & Monkey Islands have a mix of history, wildlife, nature, and the unique experience to travel by boat through the Panama Canal next to freight ships.
This tour is done from the comfort of a motorboat, with a small group. The tour will be guided by a certified guide, with an average of 4-5 people on the tour. Your guide can take you as close as possible to the monkeys and other animals, but always taking into account to not disturb them in their natural habitat or disrupt their natural feeding patterns.
Reserve this tour
Please fill out the form below with your booking request. Payment is not requested until we verify availability for the dates that you are requesting, and also review any special request that you might have. By booking with us you are accepting our Terms & Conditions. If you have any question of how booking works, please see our Frequently Asked Questions for booking, and our 3 easy steps to book with us.